Simple Pre-Moving Checklist for a Stress-Free Move
The key to having a stress-free move is to be prepared. Avoid leaving everything until the last minute by following our pre-moving checklist.
Two Months to Moving Day
- Establish a budget. Call different moving companies and storage facilities to request estimates for your upcoming move.
- Create a folder or envelope to hold quotes, receipts, and legal and financial documents.
- Start decluttering and downsizing. Follow a simple keep, donate, throw away system when doing so. Seasonal items, extra furniture, old boxes of paperwork, etc. are all common items to place in storage instead of packing them to your new place when they’re not needed.
- After determining the day you’re moving, book a moving company or a moving truck if you’re doing the heavy lifting yourself.
Six Weeks to Moving Day
- Purchase good quality packing supplies. There is nothing worse than unpacking to find that some of your stuff has been broken.
- Wrap up your decluttering and downsizing efforts.
- Clearly mark each box. Number the boxes and add a list to the outside of the box that includes what is inside. Create a master sheet for inventory.
- Plan for your pets on moving day to keep your furry friends out from under foot and safe.
One Month to Moving Day
- Go to the post office to setup your new address. Enlist the help of a mail forwarding service if you desire or begin calling around to your bank, finance companies etc. to update your address.
- Transfer your utilities and services to your new home.
- Hire a cleaning service to do a move out clean of your own. Or if you’re doing it yourself make a checklist of things that will need to be done.
Two Weeks to Moving Day
- Request meter readings for your current home.
- If you’re moving out of the city of province, transfer or close your bank accounts as needed.
- Prepare a package for the new homeowners with any information relevant to your home. Include owner’s manuals for appliances, copies of receipts for home repairs or renovations, etc.
One Week to Moving Day
- Wipe down your larger items including your lawn and garden tools. Wrapping them in plastic bags helps avoid spills during the move.
- Prepare a box of must have items you’ll need as soon as you get to your new place. Include cleaning supplies, paper towels, scissors, light bulbs, small tools, garbage bags, etc.
The Day Before Moving Day
- Pack a travel bag. Include clothes and toiletries to cover you for a few days. This way you won’t be stressed about finding what you need immediately.
- If you’re moving your fridge and/or freezer unplug it and prop the doors open to allow for defrosting.
- Make space for the movers to get in and out of your home easily. Lay down carpet or cardboard to avoid scratching the floor.
- Strip all beds and place mattresses in plastic wrap or mattress bags.
- Do a final walk through. Check all the rooms, cupboards and storage areas to be sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Lock all the windows and doors, and adjust the heat or air conditioning as needed.
- If the new owners are not moving in immediately, turn off the water and lights.
These tips will make your move a complete breeze!